Professional Software Development
Professional Software Development is best achieved by using the IfSQ Level-2 Standard, A Foundation-Level Standard for Computer Program Source Code. Software which complies with the standard is more reliable, and contains less errors than non-compliant software.
A Level-2 Assessment takes about 3 minutes per page and can be performed by any programmer (other than the one who produced the program under assessment) who has followed the IfSQ Level-2 Assessment Course. The following research findings influenced the content of the standard:
- Control-flow complexity has been correlated with low reliability and frequent errors.
- The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own skull.
- Copy and Paste is a design error.
- 39% of all errors are caused by internal interface errors / errors in communication between routines.
- 50% to 80% of plain "if" statements should have had an "else" clause.